Earth Day is about soaking up this beautiful planet we’ve been given, so go plant a tree, recycle your glass bottles, and spend some time outside on this beautiful day. In honor of today, here’s 10 easy things you can do to help make the world a little greener.
1. Unplug electronics that you don’t use everyday – and even some you do, like hair dryers. Even though they aren’t in use, electronics still use up energy if they’re plugged in.
2. All those reusable bags you’ve been collecting – spread them out! Keep some in your car. Give a few to your neighbors. Have some at work.
3. Make a pledge to cut down on (or quit altogether) buying bottles of water. Get a reusable bottle!
4. Teach a kid about reusing, reducing, and recycling. Lessons today will turn to action tomorrow! Lead by example and get kids in the habit of distinguishing what goes inside the regular trash bin versus what goes in the recycle bin.
5. Turn off the lights! So easy to do — try and make it a regular habit when you leave a room.
6. Be more conscious of your water usage. Do you turn off the water when brushing your teeth? Do you wash laundry or run the dishwasher only when you have a full load? Have you fixed that leaky faucet? Those little drops of water can add up to buckets a day!
7. If you have to use your car today, try and do everything at once, starting with your furthest destination, then making your way back home with stops along the way rather than coming and going several times.
8. Change the light bulbs in your house to Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFLs). You’ll not only save energy, but a little bit of money on your electric bill, too.
9. Eat vegetarian for the day with produce purchased from local organic farms – or better yet, grown in your own backyard.
10. Plant a tree. Plant a garden. Plant something so the world looks a little bit greener today.